How To Start An Empire:
Before we begin, did you think that starting an online business empire would be like starting a giant business with thousands of employees? Well, every empire has to start somewhere. Google and Amazon started small in their garages.
One of the best ways to start an empire of your own and make money online is a blog. Who knows, maybe someday your little blog will grow into a massive empire. You can also take whatever money you earn from your blog and re-invest into another business.
I’ve started multiple blogs and niche websites over the years and this is my empire. Keep reading if you want to start your own empire.
Starting a blog is fun, but requires a lot of work. It’s definitely not something you’ll get rich overnight with. And if you don’t think a blog can make a lot of money, you’d be wrong.
There are plenty of blogs making anywhere between a few dollars a month up to millions per month. Don’t believe me? Check out HuffPost, one of the most lucrative blogs on the internet and earns around $14 million per month.
There are plenty of lesser-known blogs generating a few hundred to a few thousand per month. Can you use a few extra hundred or thousand per month? I sure can!
One cool thing about blogging is you can write just about anything.
If you’re convinced that starting a blog is still a good idea, then continue reading. I will show you everything you need to do to get a blog up and running in 5 steps.
Table of Contents:
- Step 1 – Find a Niche For Your Blog
- Step 2 – Register a Domain Name And Get Web Hosting
- Step 3 – Install WordPress (Best Blogging Platform. No Coding Required)
- Step 4 – Get Traffic to Your Blog
- Step 5 – Make Money With Your Blog
Step 1 – Find a Niche For Your Blog
What are you going to write about in your blog? This is where you’ll have to do some brainstorming. Do you want to make a blog about making money online just like this blog? Go right ahead. Feel free to use this website as your training ground.
If you’re not sure what to write about, I would recommend that you stick with evergreen niches. Evergreen niches are huge niches with a lot of competition, but will always make money.
Some evergreen niches are:
- Health and Weight Loss
- Make Money Online
- Relationships and Dating
This is a shortlist, there are plenty more. Find something that interests you. This will make it easier when you’re writing articles for your blog.
Keep in mind that you will need to write articles anywhere between 2k to 10k words to get anywhere on Google these days. And these articles can’t suck. They have to be lengthy, high-quality with relevant keywords. Do this and Google will rank your blog higher in SERPs (Search Engine Results Page).
There is a lot more to blogging than just writing lengthy, high-quality posts with relevant keywords. But this is a great start.
Finally, don’t overthink in choosing your niche. This can always be changed later if you decide to go into another niche. The most important thing is to just get started today.
Here is a great quote I found on getting started: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
Step 2 – Register a Domain Name And Get Web Hosting
Once you found a niche, the next step is to get a .com domain name. A .com domain still rules the internet, so always use a .com domain.
It might be difficult to come up with a unique and catchy domain name. You can use your own name if it’s a personal blog.
If you haven’t any clue what to name your blog, here is a list of domain name generator websites that can help you:
The one I currently use and highly recommend is Siteground. They are the fastest shared hosting at the best price I’ve tested and their customer service is awesome.
Getting web hosting just means you need a company to host the domain name that you just registered. A domain needs a hosting server to store web pages and serve them when requested.
Most of the websites I just mentioned above lets you register a domain name and get web hosting all-in-one. I would just go with this option to make your life easier. That way you don’t have to change any DNS (Domain Name System) settings for the website to work properly.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate for SiteGround, the hosting company recommended in this tutorial. This means I will receive a commission if you sign up through the affiliate link. Siteground is fast, secure, and has outstanding support. This is at no additional cost to you. I would be grateful if you buy web hosting through my link. It will also motivate me to create more free content.
You can set up your blog for as low as $3.95/month!
Below is how to register your chosen domain name and get web hosting all-in-one at Siteground.
At this screen, I would go with Reliable Web Hosting or Managed WordPress Hosting. Either one will do. Reliable web hosting can host WordPress and custom-built websites. Managed WordPress Hosting is specifically for WordPress websites.
If this is your first time at Siteground, I would just go with Managed WordPress Hosting since this post is about making a blog specifically with WordPress. Click Get Started to select it.
At this screen, you’re presented with three packages. Select whichever you can afford. I would go with GrowBig since it’s not that much more than the Startup package. Click Get Plan to continue.
This screen is where you’ll want to enter in your chosen domain name. It will let you know if it’s available or not. Click Proceed to continue.
At this screen, you’ll need to provide your personal and credit card information.
I would leave domain privacy unchecked unless you don’t want your website to show up on other websites that may list your website in their database.
Once you click Pay Now, Siteground will complete the purchase and send you a verification email.
Important: Make sure to claim your website with the verification email that you will receive. Failure to verify your website will eventually lead to the suspension of your domain name.
Below is the verification email for this website, onlinebizempire. Click the approve verification link to claim your domain name.
There are many CMS (Content Management System) and WordPress is the most popular one for blogging. Login your Siteground account and go to My Accounts.
Click on cPanel to open the control panel.
Next, you want to click on the WordPress Installer icon under AUTO INSTALLERS.
Then click Install Now to install WordPress.
You’ll then be taken to this screen. Select your domain name, enter the site name, and site description.
Here you’ll want to enter a username, a strong password, and email for your WordPress website. Make sure you change these or you may not be able to login to your website!
I would also check the box for Classic Editor. This installs the classic post editor in WordPress. The new post editor sucks. Then click Install.
The next thing you want to do is encrypt your website with an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate. This is the letter “s” you see in https in the URL (Uniform Resource Locator). Google now requires this and it’s free from Siteground. The “s” stands for secure. Your website is not secure without the “s.” Make sure you get this important part done ASAP.
Click Let’s Encrypt to begin the process.
Here you want to select your domain name from the drop-down box and click Install to encrypt your website with an SSL certificate.
Next, you want to login to your WordPress website by clicking on Go to Admin Panel. Or you can type YourDomainName.com/wp-admin in your web browser to access your website.
Once logged in, you’ll see something like this. This is the dashboard of your WordPress website.
The first thing that should be done is to install a theme. Go to Appearance > Themes. Below, you see that I have four themes with the Astra theme active.
There are plenty of themes to choose from. Each theme has its own look and quirks. Click Add New Theme to search for themes and install the Astra theme or another one.
This blog you’re currently reading, Onlinebizempire uses the free Astra theme. Everything I’ve done for this blog so far costs very little.
I only had to pay for the domain name and hosting all-in-one with Siteground. Domain name registration cost $15.95 + Hosting price at $5.95/mo. Not bad at all. Very cheap to build an online business empire!
Next, we have to make a few changes to optimize your website for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) purposes.
Go to Settings > General and make sure the Site Title, Tagline, and everything else is correct.
Next, go to Settings > Reading and click on the radio button A static page and select your Home and Blog page.
If you haven’t created these pages, go ahead and do that now by going to Pages > Add New. Enter Home for the new page and click Publish. Repeat this step for your blog page.
Then go back to Settings > Reading and select your new Homepage (Home) and Posts page (Blog) and Save Changes.
Next, go to Settings > Permalinks. You want to click on the Post name radio button. This is the best permalink structure for SEO purposes. Then Save Changes.
Next, you want to go back to Pages > Add New.
You should have the Home and Blog pages created by now. You want to create pages for the rest of your blog. Create whatever pages you want such as Blog, Tools, About, Contact page just like my blog at OnlineBizEmpire.
Then we need to create the menus for the primary header. For this, you want to go to Appearance > Menus. Enter a Menu Name like main_menu and Save Menu.
Finally, you want to check the pages you created on the left and click Add to Menu. From here, you can order the menus and even create submenus by dragging the links a little to the right, below another menu. Click Save Menu when done.
Also, make sure Primary Menu is checked to make this menu the primary menu of your blog.
Next, go to the WordPress Dashboard > Plugins. This is where you can install additional software called plugins to add more functionality to your blog.
You can delete whatever plugins you currently have. You can always re-install them anyway.
Here are the plugins I recommend for every blog or website:
- Akismet Anti-Span – Stop robots/hackers from spamming comments with malicious content.
- Classic Editor – Old-style Edit Post screen. Because the new editor sucks!
- Elementor – Drag and drop page builder to customize the look of your blog.
- Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights – Tracks visitors to your website and other useful data.
- iThemes Security – Secures your website and fixes common holes that can leave your site vulnerable to hackers.
- Ninja Forms or Contact Form 7 – Contact forms for readers to contact you.
- Social Media and Share Icons (Ultimate Social media) – Adds social media icons to your website.
- WP Super Cache – Very fast caching plugin to speed up your website
- Yoast SEO – Provides an all-in-one SEO (Search Engine Optimization) solution.
Finally, we get to the last section where we design your blog. This is where the fun begins. Click on your domain name at the top left to open your blog.
Click Customize to start customizing your blog.
This is where you’ll customize the theme of your WordPress blog. You’ll see many options here to change the Layout, Colors & Background, Typography, and many more. It might seem overwhelming and confusing at first but gets easier over time.
The last thing to do here is to make sure you have the Elementor plugin installed. Elementor allows you to drag and drop widgets called elements, right into your website. No coding involved. It’s a click and build software.
Click on Edit with Elementor.
If you don’t see this option, go back to your WordPress dashboard. Go to Elementor > Settings > Advanced. And make sure Switch Editor Loader Method is set to Enabled. You’ll also want to make sure Editing Handles is set to Show. Then Save Changes.
Circled below is the editing handles you’ll see when the Editing Handles are set to show.
You can also edit the page by going to the Dashboard > Pages. Click on a page > edit. Then click the button Edit with Elementor.
Elementor allows you to drag and drop code blocks called elements and even comes with some pre-made ones to design your blog. Click on the + symbol to add whichever block you need.
You can also click on the folder icon to add pre-made blocks and pages.
Once you have added an empty block, you can drag over any element from the left and customize your blog any way you want.
Step 4 – Get Traffic to Your Blog
Now that we’re all done with customizing the theme and layout of your blog. The next logical step is to get traffic to it. There are many ways to do this. Here’s a good start:
- Family and Friends – This is the quickest way to get traffic to your blog. Maybe you don’t have many family or friends or don’t even want them to know about your blog – that’s okay too. There are many other ways to get an audience.
- Social Media and Forums – Use all the major social media sites and forums such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, Quora, etc. This is one of the best ways to start getting traffic to your blog. Go to these social media website and provide value, then insert your link in the comments or have it in your signature. But don’t go around spamming your blog without providing anything of value. You might get banned.
- Start a Youtube Channel – Make videos and have links in the description of your videos that links back to your blog.
- Reach Out to Other Bloggers in Your Niche – This is a must-do. If you want your blog to grow, you’ll have to get in contact with other bloggers in your niche. You want to do this for backlinks. These are the links on their website that points back to your blog. Some ways to build backlinks is to write guest posts or collaborate with other bloggers.
Step 5 – Make Money With Your Blog
- Google AdSense – This a free and simple way to make money by displaying targeted ads next to your online content. All you have to do is sign up for a Google AdSense account. Then add the code to your website.
- Email Marketing – Setup an email marketing system such as MailChimp, Aweber, or Convertkit and sell informational products or services.
- Coaching – If you’ve gone this far, you now know how to create a blog of your own and you can charge for coaching. You’d be surprised how many people need a coach or mentor that can help them.
- Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate marketing is one of the best ways to start making money from your blog. Affiliate marketing is where you sign up with a company that offers a commission on a product. You link the product to your blog. If someone clicks and buys from the link, you make a commission. There are many companies that offer this, including Amazon with Amazon Associates.
- Create Your Own ebook /Course – This will probably take the longest to do because you’ll have to write lengthy, high-quality content.
Anyone can build an online business empire. It may just be a blog but can grow to become a massive empire.
We started with finding a topic for your blog, registering a domain name and get web hosting.
We then installed the best content management system for blogging known as WordPress and customized it.
Finally, we learned how to get traffic to your blog and how to make money from it.
I hope you found this useful and remember that everything big once started small. All it takes is for you to start today and put in the work!